The Blue Four in Braunschweig
Galka Emmy Scheyer paved the way for the painters of the group Die blaue Vier to become art lovers while she was still in Braunschweig. She provided Otto Ralfs with some works by Paul Klee when he held his first public exhibition, and in April 1924 she gave four lectures on Feininger, Klee, Kandinsky and Jawlensky, showing some original paintings and many slides which she later took to America. The cycle was announced in the renowned magazine Der Cicerone with the sentence that „Frau E. E. Scheyer“ would give lectures on Die blaue Vier at American universities in order to „teach this art to young people.“ The lectures took place in the rooms of the doctor and art lover Richard Spanjer-Herford. Galka Emmy Scheyer was able to sell some works of her four „Blue Kings“.
Wolfenbütteler Street 2, Braunschweig
Photo: private, 2021